Tuesday 29 January 2013

Vegetarian Lentils à la Provençal

Sorry for posting late people! Between MA applications, school work and just life getting in the way I've been delayed in posting. However, I must say that part of what has delayed me is that we're trying to expand the blog to have its own domain (yay!) a new name (yaaaay!) and some new sections including restaurant reviews! Anyway, here's this week's recipe fix, a tasty, filling vegetarian lentil dish stuffed with Provençal flavour and protein! This recipe is adapted from my aunt's old recipe for lentils with tomato. The recipe is pretty hodge podge as I don't really measure anything when I make this, I'll work towards measures next time!


Ingredients:


-3 Cloves garlic
-½ Red onion
-Handful of parsley
-1 Leek
-2tbsp. Olive oil
-1/2 tsp. Herbes de provence (dried)
-Kalamata olives
-2 c. cooked lentils
-1 Large can/jar tomatoes
-1/3 c. Coconut milk (optional)
-Salt and pepper to taste
-2c. vegetable broth

1) Dice onions and leek, mince garlic.
2) Heat olive oil in the bottom of a pot, add leek, onions and garlic cooking until soft and fragrant.
3) Once the onion mixture is ready, add all other ingredients except parsley, the coconut milk is optional, it mellows the acidity, and can be substituted for an equal measure of broth with an extra teaspoon of olive oil. Although the broth and olive oil would be more authentic as a Provencal dish, I find the coconut milk adds some depth of flavour.
4) Simmer about 15 minutes until thickened, add parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment